When you get overwhelmed with marketing and/or business things and you don’t know where to begin because there is so much to do, try this:
- Make a list of tasks you want/need to accomplish–these should be very specific like “pay outstanding A/P” or “research 10 new potential targets” or “shoot something for myself”
- Print the list (or if you have handwritten it, skip this step)
- Cut the page(s) so that you have 1 task per bit of paper
- Put the bits of paper into a hat
- Pull out one piece of paper whenever you feel stuck and do that one thing–here is the only hard rule: you must commit to do whatever it is you pull out–no pulling a task and saying “nah, not that;” just do whatever is on that slip of paper
- When you finish whatever the task is, give yourself a little goodie for getting something done–go have a nice lunch or play a video game (for a limited time) or something similar–a little celebration for doing something.
I suggest doing 1-4 BEFORE you get totally overwhelmed. You know the things you have to do over and over and most of your tasks will be these things. Pre-load that hat! That way, when you are feeling overwhelmed, you won’t have to do anything more to prepare than to reach into that hat.