Student Portfolio Review • April 28 • F.I.T.
ASMPNY’s free Student Portfolio Review is is a great opportunity for current students and recent graduates to get their work in front of constructively critical eyes from leading magazines, galleries, photo agencies, and corporations as well as curators, individual artists, and critics (including representatives from such organizations as Time, InStyle, ClampArt, and Indiewalls). The event will be held in Brooklyn, New York, but students and recent graduates (less than a year out of school) from schools throughout the Northeast are welcome.
Other professional-level portfolio reviews often involve fees of hundreds of dollars to see only three or four reviewers of the caliber we’ll have participating, so you don’t want to miss this free chance to show these same prestigious folks your work without the high price tag. You’ll also get the chance to meet and network with your fellow peers, who will become an invaluable resource as you foster and build professional relationships.
How to Survive Your Portfolio Review, from Time magazine.
The objective of this night is an emphasis on honest feedback that photographers rarely get. Reviewers let the photographers know things such as:
- How is your presentation?
- Is the work consistent?
- What is working and what is not?
TIPS FOR STUDENTS
- Each review lasts 10 minutes.
- Photographers will wait in a line behind a reviewer they want to see. If that line is long and you see a reviewer that is available, jump out of line and go see them – you never know!
- You will see approximately 5 to 8 reviewers, depending on wait time. There is no guarantee which reviewers you will see.
- We recommend bringing one body of work with 10 to 20 images – big enough that they get a sense but not so big that it is difficult to get through in the time available and have time for the reviewers to respond.
- No portfolio over 16×20 will be allowed for ease of reviewers.
- Printed and digital portfolios are accepted.
- Make the packing material easy to get through so as not to slow down the review. Time spent on packing/unpacking is included in your 10 minutes with a reviewer.
- Bring leave-behinds and leave behind your ego! This is about getting advice and making connections – if someone doesn’t respond to your work, ask why but don’t pressure them. This might be common sense but arguing with reviewers often doesn’t really work out well.
- Also remember to bring leave-behinds for the people you didn’t get to see.
ASMPNY does not give out any contact information for reviewers. All reviewers are given your contact information. If a reviewer asks you to contact them, that’s great! Otherwise, please don’t solicit personal contact information from the reviewers. (Leave a promo!)
Saturday, April 28, 2018
Social Hour: 12:30PM
Program: 1:00PM to 3:30PMLocation:
FIT Dubinsky Student Center
227 W 27th St
New York, NY 11237
ASMP Member Free
Student with valid ID Free