ASMP is providing links from the worldwide community as well as resources we have created to help all photographers cope with this crisis. All links and information provided were accurate at the time of their posting, but this is a fluid and oft-changing situation, and you must check with your state and federal authorities to ensure what is referenced still applies. ASMP does not guarantee or endorse the accuracy of the information presented below — the following links are being shared as additional resources to all our members and visitors. Further, ASMP accepts no responsibility, and will not be liable for, the use of or reliance on the information provided.
ASMP New England may be on hold for in-person programming but we are committed to this group and providing you with the resources you need to ride out the COVID-19 pandemic and offering a community for support. We are in this together. Please check back here for information on managing your business, government assistance, ASMP advocacy and virtual meet-ups.
Note: ASMP members should send in their questions and experiences to the Q&A on the ASMP National COVID-19 Info Hub. This helps ASMP as an organization be most up to date on the very fluid coronavirus situation and get you accurate responses to issues already settled.
As ASMP ramps up its advocacy campaigns to continue urging federal and state funding for COVID-19 economic relief programs, we would like to continue collecting data about financial needs and experiences of members for use in our advocacy messaging to key Congressional leaders and committees charged with legislating economic relief and stimulus funding to ensure that ASMP members continue to be represented in all economic relief programs.
If you have applied for Small Business Administration (SBA) relief programs (PPP or EIDL), non-SBA grants/loans, or applied or will be applying for state unemployment insurance benefits (UC or PUA), we would appreciate you taking five minutes to provide input about your application experiences. Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us, so all survey responses are registered as anonymous.
Thank you in advance for your participation. Your input will serve as a powerful tool in our member advocacy kit.
Help ASMP Help You
- COVID-19 Advocacy: ASMP Sends Letters to Key Congressional Leaders Urging Additional Relief Funds
- Send letters to Congress about the need for additional stimulus for freelancers and small business owners
- If you are finding the info from ASMP useful and are in the position to help keep it coming, you may donate to the ASMP Legal Advocacy Fund.
Share your questions, experiences, and suggestions for Coronavirus issues with national counsel Tom Maddrey. Submit them here.
Town Hall Meetings
ASMP understands this a stressful time for photographers and all creators, and in response, will be holding a series of virtual town hall meetings. During the town hall sessions, the ASMP team will give a quick update on the state of the industry with respect to COVID-19, then open the floor for questions and concerns from attendees.
June’s Member Appreciation Month Events
Times are tough, and everyone needs to know they’re appreciated. That’s why ASMP has designated June as “Member Appreciation Month” with a very special collection of content and opportunities coming throughout the month – portfolio reviews, workshops, webinars and more. Most of these events will be available exclusively to ASMP members. It’s our way of saying, “Thank you.” Click here for the list of events.
Financial Guidance & Assistance
- The Freelancers’ Union Guide to Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA should be available in all 6 New England states by the week of 5/4. Find your state in this PUA Guide from Freelancer’s Union to begin your application.)
- (Updated – 04/26/20) ASMP National Share’s Major Updates to PPP and EIDLMajor updates to PPP and EIDL
- Boston Small Business Relief Fund
- Relief Package Guidance from NY Times (note: NY Times has made all their COVID-19 related content free)
- U.S Small Business Administration Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
- SBA website for Covid-19 related loans
- Freelancers Relief Fund via Freelancers Union
- How Freelancers Can Claim Paid Sick Leave
- Boston Economic Development COVID19
- WBUR – Lost Income Due To COVID-19? Here Are Grants And Resources For Artists And Nonprofits
- NYT Article on F.A.Q. on Stimulus Checks, Unemployment and the Coronavirus Bill
Re-opening & Working Safely
- Re-Opening Planning & Guidance by State:
- Mass Production Coalition COVID Reopening & Workplace Updates
- National Set Medics’ COVID-19 Guidelines for TV and Film Productions™
- The Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Task Force’s Guidelines
- Two Projects Are Filming Again. Here’s How They’re Doing It.
- Fostering Creativity and Personal Health- MJ68 Productions
- COVID-19 Guide for Visual Journalists
- Safety Sessions Talks by Windy Films
Grants & Call For Entries
- Griffin Museum is accepting entries to be part of their Corona Online Exhibition. Entries are due May 6th.
- Artist Relief
- Women Photograph 2020 Grants Application (due May 15th, 2020)
- Contact Adobe to request 60 day credit on your account
- Watch ARRI Master Classes For Free, Plus A List of “Free”‘ Software in Response to COVID-19
Virtual Events, Learning & Opportunities
- Stuck Inside Webinars with Matt K
- Live Q&A with Sally Mann
- MOMA’s Online Exhibitions
- The Road Ahead: Getting Back to Work in a COVID-19 World
- Support local – Hunt’s Photo Education has online courses
- Free e-books from Bobbi & Lee:
- Brush up on Your Photography & Processing Skills with Bobbi & Lee
- Bring Home the Leica Akademie
- Sprout Studio’s 14-Day Marketing Plan Challenge & Coronavirus COVID-19 First-Aid Hub
- “No Film School” website has a page of links to promotions of free software and training that developers are offering in support of Covid.
Deals & Gear
- Pixel Computer Glasses
- Epidemic has a limited offer for a commercial plan $299/yr (vs $1430!)
- Hunt’s is accepting trade-ins on gear. Email Noah (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a quote.
- ASMP launched a member-only digital publication called Legal Jump-start: ASMP’s Business & Legal Primer for Photographers.
- Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts
Reads & Resources
- Lensculture’s COVID-19 Resources for Photographers
- Amy V. Cooper, Photography Consultant’s Financial Resources and Emotional Support for Photographers & Creatives
- Women Photographers Finding Solace in Personal Projects During Covid-19
- Boston Globe Slack Channel for Small Business Owners
- Freelancers Union Mutual Aid Society
- National Endowment for the Arts COVID-19 Resources
- WPPI and Rangefinder COVID Page
- Entrepreneur.com’s 8 Ways Business Owners Can Take Advantage of the Federal Stimulus Package
- Photoshelter COVID-19 Resources
- PPA – In It Together
- What Freelancers Need to Know About the Coronavirus
- Photographers making isolation sexy
- Dear Art Producer, Wendy Gordon, And All Things Production In a COVID-19 World
- Amy V. Cooper’s Blog on Marketing & Business tips for Photographers
Great points from Heather Elder on what to think about and work on during COVID19:
- Make a list of all your open jobs, with photos coming up on license, renewing licenses is income for you!
- Repurpose imagery for your clients…”hey remember that brand image library we created? let’s go back in and see how we can make it work more for you”
- Maintain your relationships with your clients– what are ways you can cultivate your relationships during this time?
- You are helping creatives/art directors/creative directors create content and solve problems – what are some ways you can create more content for your clients? DIG DEEP to find ways to collaborate differently!
- Take this time to reflect on your BRAND, photographers must think of themselves as a brand, who are you, what do you stand for, create a “vision statement”
Have a helpful link or tip? Email them to our webmaster, Emily Long (email@example.com)