August Board Meeting Minutes

ASMP Colorado Board Meeting Minutes ASMP 75th Anniversary Logo

August Board Meeting Minutes

August 2020 Agenda/Minutes (08/13/2020 @6:00pm –8:00pm) Zoom call (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec.) 

Secretary: Paul Trantow and Pam Neyman

Present Members (need full names):  Howard Paul, Ella Dascalos, Larry Goodwin, Al Milligan, Paul Trantow, Samantha Behrens, Katie Warnke, Tamas Kish, Jim Reiman, Rick Souders, Howard Paul, Charles Schinner, Pam Neyman, Daniel Hirsh, Gabriella Marks

● Approval of Minutes of prior meeting: Al approved and Rick  seconded

  • Approval of August Board Reports – (read prior to meeting): Paul T. approved and Larry seconded
  • Additions or deletions to the agenda: None
  • Important Report Items:  
  • President/Katie Warnke: 
    • Jim Edmund Datri is our new executive director, actually he’s being called the CEO. 
    • Introduce Gabriella, our ASMP National liaison joining us on the call
  • Treasurer/Jen Magnuson: 
    • Current Bank Balance – $5,144.07
  • Rick Souders:
    • Rick proposed that we extend sponsor renewal another 3 months. Motioned by Paul T, Seconded by Howard. Voted unanimously
  • Membership/Paul Trantow:  
    • New members: 0. Holding at 175.
    • Mentorship: Placed Kyle Clayton with Tegan Keller and 
      • placed Erik Holladay with Steven Begleiter. 
      • 3rd try for both. 
      • Did not need to deploy the subcommittee. I will next time. 
      • Happy that both mentors are non-board.
  • Newsletter/Daniel Hirsh: 
    • 1 Unsubscribes:  mlhammers427@gmail.com
    • Reason – Getting too many emails from us.  – this is a problem. We only send 1-2 a month but they are getting too many from national and unsubscribing from us. Will reach out to them to see if they want to resubscribe.  

Events/Samantha

  • Brews and Business 
    • August: PhotoShelter
      • Karen Goldman and Caroline Summers
      • 19 attending 
      • Super informative and lots was learned, though a bit long.
      • Give speaker a 5 minute warning. If speaker has more info to share, tell audience that there is more, but they are free to leave, if needed.
      • Give speakers a bullet point list of what to expect, who the audience is, their time frame 7:20 – 7:50pm Brews, 7:45 – 8:20 Coffee.
      • Karen’s slideshow from the event.
      • September:  Labor Day, no Brews
      • October:  Ask A Pro (Membership Drive)
      • November:  Possible estimating workshop? Or Networking with breakout rooms? 
      • December:  COPVA on Business of Videography. Samantha, reach out to confirm. 
      • Future Brews ideas: Networking, breakout rooms, meet & greet,
  • Current Ideas
    • Networking breakout rooms
    • Tom Bol as a guest speaker
    • Compositing – good or bad
    • Finding grants or funding projects
    • Social Media posting software for scheduling posts
    • Networking – Best Practices then Group Networking right there & then
    • Online web domains that are useful for artists
    • Michael Knez, Tech wiz, talking about how to keep your computer healthy and upgrades.  PC users mostly
    • Digital Workflow Best Practices
    • More to come………..
    • Starting to look into 2021 Guests – Brews
    • Tom Maddrey
  • Headliner – Weekend in May 2021 
    • Agency Access’s creative consultants Jennifer Kilberg, Karen D’Silva and Lynn Kyle? They could talk about branding, marketing, messaging and why personal projects matter, how to break through to creative agencies, how to rebuild your business after COVID.
    • Month of Photography is in March 2021, our headliner can be promoted during this
    • Emailed Jennifer Kilberg. Connected with their marketing manager
    • Working on cost and got Rick’s advice on how to rock it
  • Virtual Photo Assistant Workshop
    • Friday, September 25, 26, 27
    • Pricing same as last year? Discussion
      • $10 ASMP Members
      • $15 Students (includes 2020 ASMP membership)
      • $45 Non-members
    • $50 Gift Certificates or Venmo to our non-board member station hosts? 
    • Or $25 GCs to our board member participants? 
    • Friday night panel
    • Friday night homework
    • Sat morning 9-1, 3 classes/stations
    • Sunday morning 9-2, 3 classes, Wrap up + Quiz + Populate Assistant’s Page
    • Pre set up attendee memberships with National
    • Pass the quiz – Auto graded immediately via Google Forms
    • Give them their Login info for assistant page
    • Checklist on their assistants page
    • Students would receive a Certificate of Completion if they attend all 3 days and pass the quiz
    • 6 Station & Leads 
      • Working with ProFoto/Light meters/Cords – portrait setup live shoot with model (TBD)
      • Lightroom tethering/Working an X Rite Passport (Daniel Hirsh)
      • Setting up/Breaking down light modifiers – (Paul Trantow)
      • Capture One Tethering including styles, overlays, annotations (Larry Goodwin)
      • Seamless setup/Collapsible backgrounds/Clamps/5in1s/Butterfly/Overhead frame (Tegan Keller)
      • C stands/Knuckles/Booms/Pins/Sand bags/Gaffer’s tape (Michael Teak)

~Photo Assistant Workshop Timeline & Details~

  • Friday Panel
    • 6-8pm
    • 4-5 panelists
    • Panelists
      • Natjia Soave- Assistant
      • Michael teak- Photographer
      • ? – Photographer
      • ? – Digital tech
    • Katie Warnke can moderate
    • 6-6:15pm Welcome, announcements & introductions
    • 6:15 – 7pm Panel discussion
    • 7-7:45 Breakout rooms for deeper discussions
    • 7:45pm Anyone want to share?
    • 7:55pm Announce homework, thank you for attending, see you here tomorrow at 9am. Call will open at 8:45am
    • Breakout rooms to contain:
      • Board member
      • Photographers
      • Assistants
      • Panelist
    • Homework to get ready for the weekend 
      • List of items they should be looking for to help with quiz
      • Give attendees homework to write out what they want included on their assistants’ page including their own headshot
      • Supply attendees checklist for their assistants page
      • Remind attendees there will be a quiz, so take notes
      • Need to explain Certificate and its meaning on Friday
  • Saturday Stations
    • 9am to 1pm
    • Overall moderator – Samantha
    • 10 minute welcome, day’s agenda, then break out to stations in groups
    • 3 Stations, ? minutes each – talk with each presenter to see how much time they need. 60 minutes max.
      • 2 studio stations
      • 1 software station
    • Line up possibilities
      • Daniel Hirsh (firm) 
      • Michael teak
      • TBD
    • 5 mins in between each rotation
    • 20min break after 2nd station
    • After last station, all come back to main room
    • Questions and wrap up
      • 2 studios needed
      • 1 software station done from the host’s home?
  • Sunday Stations
    • 9am to 2pm
    • Overall moderator – Samantha
    • 10 minute welcome, day’s agenda, then break out to stations in groups
    • 3 Stations, ? minutes each
      • 2 studios needed
      • 1 software station done from the host’s home?
    • Line up possibilities
      • Tegan Keller (Firm)
      • Larry Goodwin
      • Paul Trantow
    • 5 mins in between each rotation
    • 20min break after 2nd station for drink, etc
    • After last station, all come back to main room
    • Questions
    • Wrap up – For those who want their Certificate of Completion, we’ll email you the quiz next. 
    • Anyone who doesn’t want to?  Thank you for joining us. Can’t wait to see you again. 
    • We’ll turn off the video and sound for those left who are taking the quiz?
    • Email Quiz to remaining attendees. 15 minute time limit
    • 7th breakout room
      • As people finish the quiz, (will they be emailed to Samantha?) they’ll be put in a breakout room immediately. 10 people per room
      • Membership sign up after quiz and set up help for assistant page. 
      • We’ll need several people helping with this depending upon how many attendees we have. 
      • Paul T, I will need your help with that room
      • ASMP Colorado could pay membership fee to finish out 2020 at $15/person
    • Wrap up and questions
    • We’ll email your Certificate to you today
    • These will need to be personalized with their name
  • RMCAD – 20ish students, they have 3 classes running
  • RRCC – 5 to 7ish students, 2 classes will be running
  • CCD – Talked to Lincoln and is ready and has classes that will work well with the Workshop
  • CMC – Talked to Joseph and when event is ready will promote it for us!
  • Howard Paul
    • As soon as this is ready I will send the information for you to promote to the school listed and whom I have not chatted with!
  • Each station- Breaking this up 2 days will mean less volunteers 
    • As of right now we can use RRCC and RMCAD studios for the stations
    • If Covid is causing issues and the schools are shut down I will look into backup solutions
  • Moderator
    • We will need 3 moderators each day to help out in the breakout rooms. Each volunteer will move from one station to the next with the same  group of attendees.
    • VOLUNTEERS!?
    • Katie Warnke – both days
    • ?
    • ?
    • ?
    • ?
    • Samantha will be there all 3 days
  • Camera operator
    • Might not need if people are doing their stations at their homes
  • Sound person
    • Might not need if people are doing their stations at their homes
  • Check for equipment 
    • Getting with everyone and seeing what they need. 
  • No more than 60 ppl
    • We don’t want classes too big because we want students to feel comfortable 
  • 20 per class max
  • Certificate of completion 
    • Quiz if they want to earn it
    • Pass the test
    • Become a member for the rest of the year
    • Free membership for 4 months/rest of year 
    • Pass quiz and have it go towards next year’s membership
    • $15 per person
  • Virtual The Creatives Business: A Round Table Discussion [or Business for Creatives: A Round Table Discussion]
    • Thursday, November 5, 2020 
    • ASMP Event with Red Rocks Community College  
    • 5:00 PM to 8:30
    • Online event
      • 40 People tops, including 20 RRCC Students – Paul needs to guarantee 20 students
    • Cost
      • RRCC Students- Free
      • Student Members- Free
      • Non-Member Student- Free
      • Associate Members- Free
      • We will give each speaker a gift card again or a thank you card and Venmo them each $50?
    • Speakers and Topics: These are all white people, we need diversity here – who knows a BIPOC for at least one of these stations?
      • Insurance – Mollie Zaring with Travis Henderson Insurance
      • Basic Taxes & Invoicing – Bryan Schmitt with Schmidt & Associates CPA Firm
      • Self-Promotion – Ryan Dearth of Dearth Photography
        • If Ryan can’t make it, Rick can step in
      • Contracts – Dave Rein from The Copyright Society
  • General Timeline:
    • 5:00-5:15pm Introductions
    • 5:20-5:50pm 1st table
    • 5:55-6:25pm 2nd table
    • 6:30-6:55 Break/ time to ask questions & digest new knowledge – Do we need a break? If so, do breakout rooms.
    • 7:00-7:30pm 3rd Table
    • 7:35- 8:05pm 4th table
    • 8:10-8:30pm Closing remarks
  • To do list:
    • Create an event with above information -Larry
    • Get an electronic flyer made – Jim D
    • Social media – Jim R
    • Promote to other schools: ACC, CCD, RMCAD, Colorado State University + who else?
  • Room Moderators
    • Howard Paul
    • Samantha Behrens
    • Pam Neyman
    • Need a 4th – Katie?
  • Ideas: Goodie bags for questions answered: photo gadgets & gizmos, backdrops, props that we have that we’re never going to use. During wrap up we ask follow up questions to students. Whoever shouts out the correct answer first gets a “grab bag”. Could pick up from Paul at RRCC or Jim Reiman at RMCAD.
  • Unique links come after registration. Table gets divided beforehand. No public link. Pre-registration is required. 
  • Virtual Coffee Meetups
    • August 20 – Loveland – Daniel Hirsh?
    • September 14 – Boulder – Daniel Hirsh?
    • September 17 – Loveland – Al M or Samantha?
    • Guests will have 35 minutes, this is not a sales pitch. Brian & Al understand and will communicate this and the timeline of the coffee, i.e. introductions and announcements first. 
    • Host should be prepared with future events and dates.
    • Add monthly evening coffee/beer Zoomie (Meetup)? Howard has offered to host.
  • Holiday Party- Need to talk to CPAC if this is even a thought
    • Wednesday Dec 6th 2020
    • 6:30 to 8:30
    • We provide
    • Drinks
    • Payment for Liquor License $125
    • Half the volunteers
    • Last year attendance 62 people
    • Volunteers
    • Needs to be there at 5 pm
    • Who would like to volunteer
  • 2021 Possible Events Schedule  
    • 2021 Portfolio Reviews – March – during Month of Photography – for students? 
      • Partner with AIGA? Promoted by MOP and Nationally?
    • 2021 Headliner Event – May? (promoted by MoP in March) smaller scale than 75th Anniversary. April is too close to the March portfolio reviews
    • 2021 BBQ – June
    • 2021 Assistant Workshop – September?
    • 2021Round Table – Fall/November?
    • 2021 Holiday Party – December
  • Old Business
    • 2021 Board Members 
  • Who is an active member or non-member who we’d like to join our 2021 board? Anyone who is BIPOC, member or not? 
    • Travis Broxton – Awesome black photographer in Denver
  • Can everyone look over each role description? 
  • Paul, Ella, Larry, Chas, Tamas, Al and Pam may be leaving at the end of the year. Start looking for your replacements.
  • Tamas/Find A Photographer Email Marketing Initiative 
    • August 17:  1st version using the Agency Access database is scheduled to send out 
    • August 17:  Daniel will send this separately to our newsletter list, so our members and non-members understand what we’re doing to promote members
    • We’ve purchased 6000 emails for $225. If we send both text versions with each image, that’s 8 emails. If we send these to 750 agencies x 8 = 6000 emails. 
    • Tamas will give us the numbers of agencies in Colorado 369 companies/with multiple contacts, Wyoming 78 companies/with multiple contacts, Nebraska, and Utah. Stay tuned. 
    • Once this first campaign goes out, we can talk about putting out another call for images and start thinking about the goal for the second campaign.
    • Campaign should only Link to Find a Photographer. Credit will be in name only. This was previously approved at a prior board meeting. 
    • We will use different images for each wave of the campaign. 
    • Do we ask members to submit new images for this or use imagery submitted to the website? 
    • Daniel can add a call for images for the campaign to the newsletter. 
    • We should send the same images to members when we submit to agency access – to show the value of ASMP. Board should be included this time in the call. 
    • Daniel and Tamas to work with Katie on wording. 
    • Daniel can send a test. 
  • New Business
    • Paul T:  ideas on judging the website photo submissions? 
    • Katie: Action Items; if I don’t know they’re complete, I’ll copy and paste into your next month’s report in the table. If it’s complete, change it to say that. Does that make sense?
      • Does anyone have a better way to organize this running doc?
    • Zoom: Ours or National’s account? ACTION ITEM: Jen Magnuson
      • Meetings 100 limit
      • Webinar 500 limit
      • Whole suite of services available on Zoom through National is more robust. We get more support, goes into national archive
      • Stretch will provide support for our presenters on Zoom ACTION ITEM:Larry
    • BLM Subcommittee is meeting tomorrow , (August 14, 10:00-11:00am) re: our Black Lives Matter statement to rewrite and discuss. Has everyone had a chance to read the first one and Tamas’s? Any opinions or input? Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9518060415
    • FYI – Society of Photographic Education’s BLM Statement: https://www.spenational.org/resources/we-stand-in-solidarity-with-black-lives-matter
    • Wells Fargo DEI Statement
    • Diversity training – explore resources for future opportunities to increase awareness (e.g., Minnesota ASMP group). Subcommittee?
    • Brain Trust groups formed in NY, peer groups of photogs. Tom Connelly encourages us all to look into forming our own 
    • Share webinar  link (Racism and the Role White People Need to Play)  ACTION ITEM
    • Daniel – Host Loveland Coffee Meet Up