November 2020 Minutes

ASMP Colorado Board Meeting Minutes ASMP 75th Anniversary Logo

November 2020 Board Meeting Minutes (11/12/2020 @6-8pm) Zoom call 

  • Secretary: Jim Reiman
  • Present Members (need full names):  Katie Warnke, Howard, Paul, Rick Souders, Jen Magnuson, Bear Guiterrez, Bill Baum, Daniel Hirsh, Ella Dascalos, Flor Blake, Paul Gomez, Larry Goodwin, Paul Trantow, Greg Smith, Samantha Behrens, Tamas Kish, Jim Reiman, Gabriella Marks
  • Approval of Minutes of prior meeting: Howard Paul made the motion to approve, Rick Souders seconded. No Objections.
  • Approval of November Board Reports: Howard Paul made the motion to approve, Rick Souders seconded. No Objections.
  • Additions or deletions to the agenda: 
    • Important Report Items: 
    • President/Katie Warnke: 
      • Reached out to our new 2021 board members, who have joined us and I’ll introduce just before the events chair report. 
    • VP/Jen Magnuson: 
      • No Report.
    • Treasurer/Jen Magnuson: 
      • Starting Balance: $4770.22
      • Operating Expenses:
        • See Treasurer’s Report for Transactions
      • Current Bank Balance – $ 3801.18
    • Membership/Paul Trantow:  
      • Total members: 185 (+2)
    • Newsletter/Daniel Hirsh: 
      • November: 38% Open Rate (Avg. is 34)
        • 5.3% Click Rate (Avg is 7)
        • 9.4% Bounce Rate (Avg is 9)
        • 0 Unsubscribes! 
        • Resending to people who didn’t open the first one got us to 40% open rate in October and getting us closer to the 40% open rate for November.
        • 17 Unique Clicks.  
      • Agency Access Email
        • Subject: Access the best local photography talent
        • Sent 10/14/20
        • Recipients 2891
        • Opened 417
        • Clicked 4
        • Unsubscribe 8
        • Need to add Colorado to the subject line since all the clicks are coming from CA and MT.
          • Bear – Suggested to start a campaign to people that opened the links. Targeted strategy. 
          • Congrats Daniel and Tamas!
  • Introduce new 2021 board members:
    • Bill Baum (education)
    • Paul Gomez (social media)
    • Greg Smith (events, but happy to help other committees especially can look at anything going out and proofread.)
    • Bear Guttierez Marketing Chair?
    • Flor Blake (Membership)
    • Tegan Keller & Kathryn Wagner would both like to volunteer to assist the board when we need help. Let’s grow this list.
    • Potentially TJ Romero will be joining. 

Events/Samantha

  • Brews and Business 
    • Bimonthly for now beginning February 2021
    • November:  Photo Legal Talk w/Tom Maddrey – 17? attendees
    • December:  COPVA on Breaking Into Videography for Still Photographers. (Webinar format?)
      • Is this on the website with bios & headshots?
      • Social media? Jim – Look for photos for the post
      • Graphic?
      • Newsletter ready with correct link?
      • Sent to Jacie?
    • February: Mock portfolio review:  Bear Gutierrez, Greg Smith, Flor Blake This is for students and associate members. 
      • Market to schools.
    • April:
    • Interactive ideas?
    • Paul, Bill, Samantha and Rick team up to see if any food and beverage contacts want to sponsor a coffee or brews event. Ideally there would be an opportunity to have that sponsor speak at an event and offer a discount. 
  • Hoping to add another board member to help with each event.
  • Look for BIPOC speakers. 
  • Current Topic Ideas
    • Communication skills – Rick suggested
    • Networking breakout rooms
    • Tom Bol as a guest speaker
    • Compositing – good or bad
    • Finding grants or funding projects
    • Social Media posting software for scheduling posts
    • Networking – Best Practices then Group Networking right there & then
    • Online web domains that are useful for artists
    • Michael Knez, Tech wiz, talking about how to keep your computer healthy and upgrades. PC users mostly
    • Digital Workflow Best Practices
    • More to come………..
    • Starting to look into 2021 Guests – Brews
    • Tom Maddrey
    • Colorado Business Committee for the Arts (CBCA) has speakers and ideas. Not many BIPOC – Meredith, you have her info
    • Small Business Majority does too – Lindsey, Howard will forward you email
    • Greg Smith can teach ideas of Workflow & Copyright registration 
  • The Creatives Business: A Round Table Discussion 
    • 23? In attendance? Went fine. One speaker was a bit of a wildcard
    • Each speaker received a thank you and $75 via Venmo?
    • Review the roundtable in next month’s old business. 
  • Virtual Coffee Meetup
    • Bimonthly for now beginning January 2021
    • October 12 – Boulder with Tony Corbell – Daniel hosted, 17? attended
    • November 9 – Boulder with Sony/Jeff Van Scoyk – Daniel hosted, 12 attended
    • December 14 – Boulder with Brian Rabin – Daniel ?
    • January 11 ? – Who is hosting? Daniel?
      • (Guests will have 35 minutes, this is not a sales pitch. Brian & Samantha will communicate this and the timeline of the coffee to our guest, i.e. introductions and announcements first. 
      • Host should be prepared with our future events and dates and announce at beginning, including our call for images for next FAP campaign)
  • 2021 Possible Events Schedule  
    • Samantha needs support in putting together events in 2021. Greg Smith will be on her committee and we need another board member for each event
    • Each board member can come up with speaker ideas (remember BIPOC) and even an event and co-plan with Samantha & Greg Smith
    • 2021 Portfolio Reviews for Professionals – March – during Month of Photography 
      • Partner with AIGA? Promoted by MOP and Nationally?
      • We need a date:  March 24th, 2021? 
        • Gabriella: 4 or 5 reviewers. Breakout rooms worked well. Online reviews had nice intimacy. During the week might allow for more reviewers. 
        • Gabriella and Samantha to discuss offline. 
      • This is our next big event
      • Who will work with Samantha to plan this? Daniel, Gabriella, new board members?
      • Who will review? Find professional members from other chapters? Jake Armour – Katie did, Brad Smith, Amy Silverman, Cameron Sterling – Daniel did, Samantha Johnston? Tom Fink   
      • Gabriella can recommend people from New Mexico.          
        Samantha – please email me at treasurer@amsp-board.org – I can send 
      • you contact info for Cara Romero and Roberto Rosales
      • Who is reaching out to whom? ^^
      • How many reviewers?
      • Who do we want to attract to be reviewed? Professional Members
      • Who needs a review? Pros Only – Gear toward professional members
      • How will we advertise? 
        • Start marketing two months in advance. 
        • Fun portfolio posts. Good portfolio vs Bad. Maybe a video? Add a funny post to keep up engagement. 
        • Social + Mike’s Camera. Brian will post ASMP CO minfo on their page. 
        • Hashtag Sponsors.
        • When will we begin to advertise? Two Months.
      • SPE March 18-21 – ASMP Table
  • 2021 Headliner Event – May (promoted by MoP in March) smaller scale than 75th Anniversary. April is too close to the March portfolio reviews
    • Who will help Samantha plan? Jen Magnuson, new board members? Paul W. with AIGA? Paul Gomez, Paul Weinrauch & Jim Reiman
    • Date? – Waiting for Lindsay from Agency Access. May 15th, 22nd or 29th. 
  • Who is our audience? Graphic Designers, AIGA, Photographers, 
  • How will we advertise? Partnering with AIGA, Social Media Ads, Teaser Ads early, Teaser Selfie Videos, Cross Advertising with Agency Access, 
  • When will we begin to advertise? As soon as we have the program nailed down. Projected date?
  • Do we partner with another organization? AIGA
  • 2021 BBQ – June
  • 2021 Assistant Workshop – September?
  • 2021 Round Table – Fall/November?
  • 2021 Holiday Party – December
  • 2021 Mini workshops – weekends
  • Old Business
    • Reminder: Rick: follow the social channels of our sponsors, especially Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. And ASMP CO, comment more on their posts.  
      • Can we link out to our sponsors from the website and social media?
      • Keep Rick in the loop once this is set up. I added Facebook and Instagram links for advertisers that have those accounts.
    • We’re given 2 merit memberships/year. Do we have anyone in mind?
      • Jeff Hawkins _https://www.jeffreyhawkinsphotography.com/- Bear’s assistant.
      •  Student of Color Membership Scholarship? Jim, Bill, Flor & Howard meet to make a call and process. 
      •           Merit memberships are to help connect with the community and bring more individuals into the organization.
      • Bear – Maybe Joanna Pinneo(303) 709-1569 – Maybe ask her to speak first?
        • Gabriella – these are intended to balance need base and visibility.
        • Perhaps there are more than 2 Merit Memberships available? 
      • Maybe one High Profile and One Emerging? Start a committee
      • Rick will sponsor two more memberships for students. 
      • Larry will also sponsor two student Memberships
      • Paul Follow up
    • Let’s assign these:
  • Reach out to National Geographic Photographers in the area about speaking, doing an Instagram, possible merit memberships.
  • Instagram takeovers – waiver, send images + caption + bio for our social media manager to post, one multi-image post per day for several days, 
  • DEI subcommittee came up with a message that was sent to all current board members. Discuss and vote.
    • Great message – perhaps too wordy. 
    • Will be reviewed by Tom Maddrey
    • Consider keeping this as a working document but consider the difference between this and a communication document. 
    • Maybe some points in the “as a start” portion could be trimmed or combined. 
    • Many people are expressing positive thoughts towards this document. 
    • Greg would like to make a pass at condensing the draft. 
    • Think about formats for delivery. Does it make sense? This works as a press release. Think about where it is going before cutting it. 
    • Move to have a vote to keep as a working ASMP CO document and allow Greg to review?
    • Consider a short statement that links to the long form document. Read More.
    • Move forward on the motion to approve with plans to revise or trim for delivery. Rick Moved to approve the working document. Katie Seconded. No objections.  
  • Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
    • This will be on the agenda each month to discuss or mark our progress as outlined in our not yet approved mission statement
    • We had two people of color and two women as speakers at the November roundtable
    • We reached out to many Chambers of Commerce in the area to find BIPOC roundtable speakers. We will follow up to keep those relationships going.
    • We are honored to have three people of color including one woman joining our 2021 Board of Directors
    • There are two videos I’d like us to all watch together and discuss. We’ll have a watch party. They’re made by our local Denver Arts and Venues called How to be an Anti-Racist Organization. It’s important for us to understand the history, the issues, the language so we can be leaders in this movement and mission: to be diverse, inclusive and equitable.
      • Watch Party?Jen set up a Doodle to set a date for a watch party and discussion.
  • New Business
    • Another phone tree to current members Paul T put together to:
      • Check in and see how they’re doing, 
      • Encourage them to enter images in our Call for Entry for the next Find A Photographer campaign.
      • Give them the link to our upcoming events or the link to the list view on the events page
      • We have a new CEO and revamped website
      • Did you see we’re sending emails to our Agency Access list for FAP? Make sure yours is updated!
    • Tamas/Find A Photographer Email Marketing Initiative
      • Two members submitted images to our new call for images to continue this campaign with fresh images in each mailing. 
      • How do we get members to submit? Phone tree and what else?
      • What’s the message and the goal for our next campaign?
        • More of FAP?
  • General ASMP Members invited to be Heard