December 2020 Board Meeting Minutes

ASMP Colorado Board Meeting Minutes ASMP 75th Anniversary Logo

December 2020 Board Meeting Minutes (12/10/2020 @6-8pm) Zoom call 

  • Secretary: Jim R. 
  • Present Members (need full names):  Greg Smith, Jim Reiman, Paul Trantow, Bill Baum, TJ Romero, Daniel Hirsh, Bear Gutierrez, Tamas Kish, Jen Magnuson, Katie Warnke, Larry Goodwin, Howard Paul, Flor Blake, Rick Souders
  • Approval of Minutes of prior meeting: Accepted unanimously
  • Approval of December Board Reports: Accepted unanimously
  • Additions or deletions to the agenda: DEI Statement Approved! Yay!
  • Important Report Items: 
    • President/Katie Warnke: 
      • CASE Act – need to push for this – put in on your calendars to call Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner tomorrow 

Michael Bennet

202-224-5852  • DC Main

202-228-5097  • DC Fax

303-455-7600  • Denver office

Cory Gardner

(202) 224-5941  • DC Main

(303) 391-5777  • Denver Main

(202) 224-6524  • DC Fax

Brain Wanamaker, counsel brian_wan

  • Current CASE Act campaign Howard Updated, looking good
  • https://www.asmp.org/advocacy/case-act-needs-you-now/
  • National’s Membership drive – much better than previous years, overwhelming response
  • Make sure we have diverse member images on our chapter website, not just board member images – Paul T. (emailed some, will email more)
  • 10am Friday, December 18, our annual professional members meeting, be sure to register. You’ll get to see Samantha & Katie cameos.
  • Introduce TJ Romero who will be taking over the website chair
  • VP/Jen Magnuson: Arranged Friday’s 12/11, 7pm Watch Party of EDI 101
  • Treasurer/Jen Magnuson: 
    • Starting Balance: $4,033.17
    • See Treasurer’s Report for Transactions
    • Current Bank Balance – $3840.19
    • Filed allotment with National – $7180.72 filed, will receive $$$ after subtracting the $1000 we’re donating to National
    • Will re-email Amy & Brad about- this is unpaid. 
  • Membership/Paul Trantow:  
    • Total members: 188 (+3)
  • Newsletter/Daniel Hirsh: 
    • December newsletter: 38% Open Rate (Avg. is 34)
      • 7% Click Rate (Avg is 7)
      • 9.4% Bounce Rate (Avg is 9)
  • Agency Access Email
    • Half as many opens but 6x the amount of clicks
    • Subject: Connect with the perfect CO photographer
    • Sent 12/3/20
    • Recipients 2779
    • Opened 218
    • Clicked 25
    • Unsubscribe 7
    • Top clicks:
      • Ghirardelli
      • Live Nation
      • GoDaddy
      • Sees Candy
    • Daniel had to buy more credits. Costs about $100 to send an email campaign. 
      • We did receive an ASMP Co. discount.
      • The invoice total was $191.25 for 6000 ?? credits. Always check that we receive the ASMP CO discount each time we purchase credits. 
      • We need to focus more on Colorado and try to match their interests with our email blasts. 
  • Sponsorship/Rick Souders: I’ve started the discussions about sponsorship into 2021

Events/Samantha

  • Brews and Business 
    • Bimonthly for now beginning February 2021
    • December:  COPVA on Breaking Into Videography for Still Photographers. Required registration for the first time. 25 participants including 3 panelists – largest crowd yet?
    • February: Mock portfolio review:  Bear Gutierrez, Greg Smith, Flor Blake. This is for students and associate members. 
    • Marketing Events Checklist:
      • Market to schools.
      • Is this on the website with bios & headshots?
      • Social media 
      • Graphic?
      • Newsletter ready with correct link?
      • Sent to Jacie?
      • Confirm with Speaker on recording their talks.  
    • April: ??How to approach ad agencies & production companies??
    • Paul, Bill, Samantha and Rick team up to see if any food and beverage contacts want to sponsor a coffee or brews event. Ideally there would be an opportunity to have that sponsor speak at an event and offer a discount. – Rick thinks we put this off for now as businesses can’t have in-person events.
    • Look for BIPOC speakers. 
  • Current Topic Ideas
    • Communication skills – Rick suggested
    • Networking breakout rooms
    • Tom Bol as a guest speaker
    • Compositing – good or bad
    • Finding grants or funding projects
    • Social Media posting software for scheduling posts
    • Networking – Best Practices then Group Networking right there & then
    • Online web domains that are useful for artists
    • Michael Knez, Tech wiz, talking about how to keep your computer healthy and upgrades. PC users mostly
    • Digital Workflow Best Practices
    • More to come………..
    • Starting to look into 2021 Guests – Brews
    • Tom Maddrey
    • Colorado Business Committee for the Arts (CBCA) has speakers and ideas. Not many BIPOC – Meredith, you have her info
    • Small Business Majority does too – Lindsey, Howard will forward you email
    • Greg Smith can teach ideas of Workflow & Copyright registration 
  • Virtual Coffee Meetup
    • Bimonthly for now beginning January 2021
    • December 14 – Boulder with Brian Rabin of Mike’s Camera – Daniel hosting. 
      • Paul moved to spend $200 on Instagram to promote the event. Howard seconded it. Approved.  
    • Please attend if possible. This is our Mike’s liaison. 
    • January 11 – Guest? – Who is hosting? Daniel or Samantha.
      • (Host should be prepared with our future events and dates and announce at beginning, including our call for images for next FAP campaign. Also thank the sponsors.)
      • (Guests will have 35 minutes, this is not a sales pitch. Brian & Samantha will communicate this and the timeline of the coffee to our guest, i.e. introductions and announcements first. )
  • 2021 Events Schedule  
    • Samantha needs support in putting together events in 2021. Greg Smith will be on her committee and we need another board member for each event
    • Each board member can come up with speaker ideas (remember BIPOC) and even an event and co-plan with Samantha & Greg Smith
    • 2021 Portfolio Reviews for Professionals – March 24 – during Month of Photography 
      • Partner with AIGA? Promoted by MOP and Nationally? First to Colorado
      • Reach out to Diversify Photo, Native Photographs? – Who?
      • March 24th, 2021 
        • Gabriella: 4 or 5 reviewers (at a time?). Breakout rooms worked well. Online reviews had nice intimacy. Weekday might allow for more reviewers. 
      • This is our next big event
      • Daniel & Gabriella will work on this with Samantha + Greg Smith
      • Who will review? Find professional members from other chapters? Unpaid. LA & National did not pay reviewers. If someone asks for $, we’ll revisit. 
        • Jake Armour, commercial photog – confirmed, 
        • Brad Smith – Jen M, Amy Silverman – Jen M, 
        • Cameron Sterling – confirmed
        • Samantha Johnston – Samantha B, Tom Fink – Samantha B. 
        • From Gabriella: Cara Romero and Roberto Rosales – Samantha
        • Martine Séverin? – Katie 
        • Local agencies:  FlowState Marketing – Katie, 
        • What other local or national agencies or production companies?
        • Agency Access?
        • AIGA
        • 5280 Magazine
        • Gallerists
        • NY Times Photo Editor?
        • Washington Post photo editor?
        • Google photo editor?
        • ASMP LA reached out to Natives Photograph and Diversify Photo. You had to be a member of ASMP LA which increased membership.
      • If reviewers are interested & available March 24, we ask them to lock in the date and tell them we’ll get back to them with details as this comes together. Then, ask for their bio, portrait and the types of genres they’d like to review.
      • How many reviewers?
      • How many timeslots/reviewees?
      • Reviewees will be Professional Members
      • Hire Jen?? who helped LA chapter organize reviews? They paid her $30/hour and $300 on review day. Split between LA & Chicago chapters.
      • To advertise:
        • Start marketing two months in advance. 
        • Fun portfolio posts. Good portfolio vs Bad. Maybe a video? Add a funny post to keep up engagement. 
        • Social + Mike’s Camera. Brian will post ASMP CO info on their page. 
        • Graphic?
        • Hashtag Sponsors.
        • When will we begin to advertise? Two Months.
      • SPE March 18-21 – ASMP Table – who’s arranging? – Jim Reiman?
      • Samantha is talking to Molly next week re: ASMP LA portfolio review process.
      • What do we charge? 
      • It was suggested that we should offer this event for free or very little cost due the the nature of how hard 2020 has been on the photo community. 
      • Sponsorship money could help offset the cost. 
  • 2021 Headliner Event – Agency Access??
    • May (promoted by MoP in March) one day event
    • Who will help Samantha plan? Greg Smith, Jen Magnuson, Paul W. with AIGA? Paul Gomez, Paul Weinrauch & Jim Reiman
    • Date? – Waiting for Lindsay from Agency Access. May 15th, 22nd or 29th. 
    • Our audience: Graphic Designers, AIGA, Photographers, 
    • To advertise: Partnering with AIGA, Social Media Ads, Teaser Ads early, Teaser Selfie Videos, Cross Advertising with Agency Access, 
    • We begin to advertise as soon as we have the program date nailed down. 
    • Do we partner with another organization? AIGA
  • 2021 BBQ – June
  • 2021 Assistant Workshop – September?
  • 2021 Round Table – Fall/November?
  • 2021 Holiday Party – December
  • 2021 Mini workshops – weekends
  • Follow all of our members on Instagram – ask Paul T if you need access to our member list
  • Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Progress:
    • Larry has put our DEI Resources on the website
    • DEI Mission statement: Greg Smith condensed, Katie sent to Tom Maddrey to approve. 
      • Once approved, it will go on our website, we’ll put the first paragraph in our newsletter, on social media – APPROVED!
      • Larry will put on website, Jim will make graphic and put on Instagram, FB & LinkedIn, Daniel will send out a separate newsletter focusing on our statement
    • BIPOC + LGBTQ+  Student Scholarship form created by Jim Reiman. 
      • Howard distributed to schools. 
      • Jim adjusted to have a deadline of Jan. 31st 2021 – announce winners by 2/14/21. 
      • Jim, Bill, Flor & Howard meet to look over applications & make recommendations to board?
      • Rick & Larry both sponsored four memberships for students, the beginnings of our student scholarship fund. Any member can sponsor a student.
    • Watch Party this Friday, December 11, 7-8:30pm, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion 101 presented to a live audience 10/11/19. It’s the first of the Denver Arts & Venues Imagine 2020 Speaker Series. We’ll break this up into two watch parties followed by a 30 minute discussion.
      • Please join us if you can. It’s important for us to begin to understand what diversity, equity and inclusion really mean, so we can walk the walk and talk the talk within our organization and beyond. We want to be leaders in this discussion, not followers trying to catch up. THIS is our diversity training at the moment. If/when we do hire someone to speak to us about DEI in the future, with this knowledge we won’t be starting from square one.
    • After this video, the next in the speaker series is How to be an Anti-Racist Organization. Perfect for us. It’s important for us to understand the history, the issues, the language so we can be leaders in this movement and mission: to be diverse, inclusive and equitable. We can set up another watch party for this.
  • Old Business
    • We’re given 2 merit memberships/year. (See below re: subsidizing 10 memberships in 2021)
      • Merit memberships are to help connect with the community and bring more individuals into the organization.
      • Start a committee to submit merit-based membership candidate ideas, evaluate and present to board
      • Jeff Hawkins https://www.jeffreyhawkinsphotography.com ? Bear’s assistant.
      • Bear – Maybe Joanna Pinneo (303) 709-1569 – Ask her to speak first?
      • Gabriella – these are intended to balance need base and visibility.
      • Nevada Weir – Jen
      • Maybe one High Profile and One Emerging? 
    • Phone tree checking in with current members. How’s that going? Who’s completed their list?
      • Please send out the email and try to call before next Friday 12/18.
    • Tamas/Find A Photographer Email Marketing Initiative
      • Any more submissions?
      • What’s the message and the goal for our next campaign?
  • New Business
    • 2021 Vice President anonymous vote by Google Forms results: 
      • Jen Magnuson will be the New Vice President
      • Katie Warnke Motioned for Howard Paul to be the Treasurer. Rick Seconded. Approved. 
    • Reach out to National Geographic Photographers in the area about speaking, doing an Instagram takeover, possible merit membership.
      • Set up multi photo posts for three days.
      • Utilize stories and live as well as the feed.
      • Consider adding a zoom meetup to the take over. 
      • Move to Merit Membership Winner.
    • Our chapter can do a takeover of national’s Instagram feed for 1-3 days 
      • one multi-image post per day for several days, . 
      • Chapter should curate a broad range of images from members and submit to National
      • Thinking about a thematic takeover – social justice, climate
        • Flor, Rick, and Paul G could work on this. 
        • Create Criteria. And bring to Jan Board Meeting
        • Start this after the MLK JR holiday 
    • Houston Chapter (Amy Scott and Michael Hart)
      • Willing to subsidize 10 members who haven’t been able to reup   
      • Emailed Amy for info on the application for member assistance to get the language and info that we can use
      • Randomly selecting the 10 people
        • Could be $100 Scholarships? Paid directly to National
        • We could look at those that don’t rejoin for 2021 we could offer that to expired memberships. 
        • Follow up with Drops mid January. 
        • Use long standing memberships as a means of weighting the potential applicants. 
        • Look at the drops in January and form a list for the February Board Meeting.
        • Shoot for contacting potential applicants at the end of February 2021. 
    • Michael Shay from National Foundation:
      • Giving another $5k (20 grants) to stylists, photographers whose businesses were severely affected by COVID
      • $250 grants from print sale
      • Fuji has donated THREE cameras to auction off, ASMP members get first dibs at bidding
      • Michelle Tricca – Faces of Immokalee – celebrating the soul of Immokalee
      • First project we’ve done, learning about it, figuring it out, seeing how it works. Quite a process
      • See what Foundations mission statement is go to ASMP National’s page
      • ASMP is helping fund worthwhile projects – fiscal sponsorship. Someone with a 501 c3 can partner with someone who doesn’t have it. It’s the way Michelle can raise money for her project
      • Vice-chair@asmp-board.org – to reach out to Michael Shay re: projects our member photographers have who would like to raise money for a project they’re doing – Daniel – newsletter
      • The ASMP organization and the ASMP foundation are two separate entities
      • Foundation Donor’s Circle Program https://www.asmp.org/asmp-foundation-asmp-donors-circle/
      • https://www.asmp.org/asmp-foundation/asmp-foundation-announces-limited-edition-print-sale/
    • ASMP Best of Contest – EVERYONE SUBMIT
      • Great prizes
    • Do we have the social media release on our website? – Jim Reiman and Larry
      • Katie – look into how the forms are gathered and distributed so we know who has signed it. 
  • General ASMP Members invited to be Heard