The ASMP/Architecture Specialty Group serves as the leading forum for architectural photographers around the world. Formed in 1994, this group’s members create images of architectural designs which further the appreciation and understanding of architecture. The group’s aim is to foster greater communication within the photographic community and to increase understanding and cooperation between architectural photographers, clients, related trade organizations and the entire design community.
If you are an ASMP member and would like to join the Architecture Specialty Group, send email to ASMP. If you would like to sign up for the listserv, please visit https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ASMParch/info. When seeking to join the list, you are asked to tell the moderators your full name so that your membership can be verified.
Competition Release Forms
The blanket releases offered by many competitions often have overly broad terms and permissions. Rather than sign their release, why not submit your images with these ASMP-recommended releases?
- For AIA-sponsored competitions: PDF file or Microsoft Word doc
- For competitions sponsored by educational, cultural or design organizations other than AIA: PDF file or Microsoft Word doc
- For competitions sponsored by editorial organization (e.g. magazine or book publisher): PDF file or Microsoft Word doc
- For competitions sponsored by a commercial entity or trade group: PDF file or Microsoft Word doc
ASMP’s position on photo competitions is explained more fully in this article.
AIA Best Practices Documents
May 2008: An updated version of the AIA Best Practices for architectural photography has been posted in the AIA Knowledge Repository. Although much of the Knowledge Repository is “members only,” the photography-related documents are freely downloadable and may be viewed on screen or printed on a desktop color printer.
- 06.03.05 Selecting a Professional Photographer
- 06.03.06 Understanding a Photographic Assignment Estimate
- 06.03.07 Preparing for Professional Photography: A Checklist
- 06.03.08 Controlling the Cost of a Photography Assignment
- 06.03.09 Licensing Photographs for a Publication
- Tutorial: Model and Property Releases
- Pamphlet: Commissioning Architectural Photography
- News item (8/14/2003): AIA Agreement on photo rights for award competitions
For more on the AIA show, and an online look at the gallery images, read our story.